6 Content Marketing Tips All E-Commerce Brands Need
6 Content Marketing Tips All E-Commerce Brands Need
While e-commerce continues to gain an ever-widening share of the market, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy to find success as an e-commerce brand. As the e-commerce market gets larger, there is more competition that requires brands to innovate ways to attract and retain customers. Elements such as SEO content writing can drive a successful marketing strategy, but they have to be done well.
Effective content marketing provides your target audience with engaging and relevant information that subtly sells your products and services without reading like a sales pitch. Some common examples of content marketing include SEO, social media marketing, and blog posts. You can create these elements yourself or hire a reliable content marketing company. Whichever path you take, you can greatly increase your chances of success by understanding these key elements of successful content marketing.
Proven Content Marketing Tips for E-commerce Brands
According to the Content Marketing Institute, content marketing is “a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.” With that definition in mind, consider how to incorporate these essential tips when developing the content marketing strategy for your e-commerce brand.
1. Work With Influencers in Your Niche
One content marketing trend that has been growing in popularity is the use of influencers. The concept of an “influencer” may immediately conjure images of celebrities or social media personalities with millions of followers. However, you don’t necessarily need to worry about committing all your resources to hire a celebrity to promote your brand.
In fact, choosing a micro-influencer who fits well with your brand will likely have better results than hiring a celebrity blogger. According to a study of 14,000 adults conducted by Collective Bias, 70 percent of millennials cited a preference for endorsements by peers rather than celebrities. When choosing a micro-influencer, keep these tips in mind:
- Start with your own followers: If you can find someone with a decent following who is already interested in your brand, it’s a good place to start.
- Stay in your niche: Choose an influencer who’s a good match for your products and services.
- Look for consistency and engagement: Focus on finding an influencer who posts on a regular basis. Then, see how much interaction his or her posts get. An influencer who consistently gets likes and comments on posts (and responds to them) will probably have success engaging your target audience.
Once you’ve found a potential influencer, it’s time to talk details. Make sure everyone is clear on the marketing goals, guidelines, brand voice, and payment terms.
2. Increase Trustworthiness Through Verified Google Reviews
Online reviews are ubiquitous nowadays, and they can have significant influence on whether consumers make a purchase. For a while, some SEO strategies involved creating inauthentic reviews to boost search rankings and manipulate confidence in brands and products. However, this isn’t a viable option anymore. Most shoppers and search engines now look for verified reviews from real people. Google rewards sites with credible reviews made through a Google Review Partner platform such as Trustpilot.
Developing and managing reviews is an extremely important part of a good SEO content marketing strategy. It can improve your visibility with search engines and your reputation with potential customers. Additionally, some programs make it easy to turn reviews into attractive content that’s perfect for posting on social media and your website.
3. Make a Statement With Your Landing Page
Optimizing your site’s landing page is an essential aspect of content marketing. After all, visitors who see it are generally already interested in your brand and products. An attractive, well-designed landing page creates a positive interaction with your brand and provides a smooth user experience. High-quality landing pages can also show high conversion rates, so it’s worth the time to make yours as good as it can be. Here are some vital steps to improve your landing page:
- Direct traffic through organization: A landing page can work like an airport or train station. It’s the place visitors converge before moving to other areas of your site (e.g. product pages, FAQs, contact details). With smart organization and an intuitive layout of links, you can make it easy for visitors to travel through your site in ways that are most likely to lead to sales.
- Provide an overview of your brand: A customized landing page can include the elements you want. Adding content such as testimonials, reviews, current promotions, and navigational links can give visitors a quick overview that showcases the best aspects of your brand.
- Develop outstanding copy: The text on your landing page can have a significant impact on customers and search engine bots, so you may want to hire a content marketing company to develop copy that’s SEO-friendly and easy to read.
E-commerce can be an extremely competitive area, and many consumers make instant decisions about brands based on a quick overview of their websites. A high-quality landing page can wow potential customers and provide reliable conversion rates.
4. Engage Your Audience Through Video
If you’ve spent any time researching content marketing, you know that the field has evolved through the years. Types of content and SEO strategies constantly adapt to meet new search engine algorithms, consumer behavior, and available technology. One of the largest changes has been the shift toward video content as more marketers understand the sheer power of this format.
Numerous studies confirm that video marketing can be extremely effective. They key to getting it to work for your brand is choosing how to incorporate video into your overall content marketing strategy. There are several available options:
- Adding a video to your website to showcase products or summarize your brand
- Offering a webinar to provide your audience with valuable and sincere advice
- Producing short marketing videos to debut new products
- Utilizing social media platforms (e.g. Facebook Live, Instagram Live) to engage your audience through live videos
- Creating an ongoing series of YouTube videos
It’s important to know what type of video has the most potential to reach your target audience. For example, younger viewers tend to prefer short videos whereas older viewers find longer videos more appealing. Develop video content that accurately reflects your brand and matches your target audience’s preference.
5. Strengthen Your E-A-T Score
The most recent Google broad core algorithm update continues the search engine’s trend toward rewarding high-quality, relevant content with higher rankings. This update increases the emphasis on E-A-T score for Google’s Search Quality Evaluators. This term incorporates the words Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness. With the increased significance of the E-A-T score, it’s important to make sure you are doing what you can to improve your brand’s content in these areas.
- Expertise: Show consumers and search engines that you are knowledgeable of your products and industry. Make sure editorial content, including blog posts, lists the author’s name and bio. If you utilize a blog writing service, make sure your content is coming from authors who can prove they are knowledgeable about the subject matter.
- Authority: In e-commerce terms, this area serves as proof of expertise. One way to boost your company’s authority is to move toward personal branding. This includes investing in your own brand as well as choosing influencers and senior executives who have solid, positive personal brands.
- Trustworthiness: Prioritize the technical security of your page. This means having a current SSL certificate and an “HTTP” address that automatically redirects to an “HTTPS” URL. Make sure your shopping cart and checkout systems are secure and have verifiable certifications and badges.
As you are developing your brand’s unique content marketing strategy, make sure to keep the E-A-T concept at the forefront. Finding more ways to highlight your expertise, authority, and trustworthiness can improve your search ranking and solidify your reputation as an industry leader.
6. Be Helpful, Not Pushy
While you know the goal of your content is to attract people to your brand and make sales, that should never be obvious to your readers. Blog posts, social media updates, and videos are most effective when viewers find them valuable and helpful. In contract, many consumers immediately dismiss content they feel is manipulative, “sales-y,” or disingenuous. Follow these guidelines to make sure your content rings true to your audience:
- Make sure every story you tell casts your customer, not your brand, as the hero.
- Don’t jump on every trending topic; only engage when it makes sense for your brand.
- Provide helpful advice on using your products, such as how-to videos or tutorials.
- Engage in cause marketing very carefully: Ensure your campaign appears genuine and can realistically help your chosen cause.
- Regularly evaluate your content to assess its effectiveness, and then make necessary changes to any content that’s not working.
Whether you’re publishing blogs, creating live social media videos, or developing SEO content, make sure you always put the consumer first. Develop unique, valuable content — not polished sales pitches.
Content Marketing: Your Secret to Success
Having an effective content marketing strategy dramatically increases your changes of rising to the top of the e-commerce world. For most brands, a successful strategy will involve more than one type of content. Fortunately, you don’t have to create each piece yourself. You may want to hire a blog writing service or SEO content writing agency. When you’re working with your authors, influencers, web designers, and creators, strive to represent your brand clearly and accurately. Search engines reward high-quality content, and your potential customers will as well.
Latest posts by Amanda Holland (see all)
- 6 Content Marketing Tips All E-Commerce Brands Need - March 1, 2019