25 Tongue Twisters Everyone Should Know
25 Tongue Twisters Everyone Should Know
Funny tongue twisters are the cornerstone of many family road trips, recess games and annoying little brothers, and that is likely due to the near impossibility of perfect pronunciation. These phrases are made to force mispronunciation and confusion, but it is this purposeful manipulation that makes tongue twisters great for teaching proper pronunciation as well as excellent for good, old-fashioned family entertainment. The key to practicing tongue twisters is to never take it too seriously and too have as much fun as possible. Here are some of our favorites:
You probably remember some of these classic tongue twisters from those days as a child, riding in the backseat of a car with your friends or siblings and pushing each other to say each three times fast or faster. While this is not an extensive list of classic funny tongue twisters, you can find more like them either here or here.
- Wordy Woodchuck – How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
- Bear-ly Babbling – Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t very fuzzy, was he?
- Pete’s Pick – Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers? If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
- Baker Blurb – Betty Botter had some butter, “But,” she said, “this butter’s bitter. If I bake this bitter butter, it would make my batter bitter. But a bit of better butter – that would make my batter better.” So she bought a bit of butter, better than her bitter butter, and she baked it in her batter, and the batter was not bitter. So ’twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter.
- Sea Speak – She sells seashells by the seashore.
- Medical Mayhem – When a doctor doctors a doctor, does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as the doctor being doctored wants to be doctored or does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as he wants to doctor?
While part of the fun of tongue twisters is the nonsensical nature of the genre, the following selection is a little stranger than your typical twisters and offers some of the most challenging and funny tongue twisters in the English language. Can’t get enough? Try checking out more strange speaks on this cool site.
- Gobs of Gab – Gobbling gargoyles gobbled gobbling goblins.
- Spooky Story – Something in a thirty-acre thermal thicket of thorns and thistles thumped and thundered threatening the 3-D thoughts of Matthew the thug – although, theatrically, it was only the thirteen-thousand thistles and thorns through the underneath of his thigh that the thirty-year-old thug thought of that morning.
- Lucky Lick – Luke Luck likes lakes. Luke’s duck likes lakes. Luke Luck licks lakes. Luck’s duck licks lakes. Duck takes licks in lakes Luke Luck likes. Luke Luck takes licks in lakes duck likes.
- Marriage Mumble – Mary Mac’s mother’s making Mary Mac marry me. My mother’s making me marry Mary Mac. Will I always be so Merry when Mary’s taking care of me? Will I always be so merry when I marry Mary Mac?
- Easy Fleasy – Through three cheese trees, three free fleas flew. While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew. Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze. Freezy trees made these trees’ cheese freeze. That’s what made these three free fleas sneeze.
- Baseball Blab – Bobby Bippy bought a bat. Bobby Bippy bought a ball. With his bat, Bob banged the ball. Banged it bump against the wall. But so boldly Bobby banged it. That he burst his rubber ball. “Boo!” cried Bobby. Bad luck ball. Bad luck Bobby, bad luck ball. Now to drown his many troubles, Bobby Bippy’s blowing bubbles.
- SeeSaw Spout – I saw a saw that could out saw any saw I ever saw saw. If you happen to see a saw that can out saw the saw I saw saw I’d like to see the saw you saw saw.
- Scary Berry – How many berries could a bare berry carry, if a bare berry could carry berries? Well, they can’t carry berries (which could make you very wary) but a bare berry carried is more scary!
While every tongue twister varies in difficulty and length, they are all meant to be fun. The following list of funny tongue twisters is more focused on the fun and less on the length and difficulty. Tongue twisters should be fun for all ages. Find these and many others on sites like this.
- Uncanny Convo – Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- Fishing Mishap – There was a fisherman named Fisher who fished for some fish in a fissure. Till a fish with a grin, pulled the fisherman in. Now they’re fishing the fissure for Fisher.
- Which Witch – If two witches would watch two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
- Kooky Cookie – How many cookies could a good cook cook If a good cook could cook cookies? A good cook could cook as much cookies as a good cook who could cook cookies.
- Stinky Speak – A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk.
- Woodchuck Cousin – How much ground would a groundhog hog, if a groundhog could hog ground? A groundhog would hog all the ground he could hog if a groundhog could hog ground.
- Fabric Funny – Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better.
- Hospital Haha – Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely.
- Dinner Doozy – I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen.
- Tiny Shiny – Susie works in a shoeshine shop. Where she shines, she sits, and where she sits, she shines.
- Fish Your Wish – I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
Despite the apparent difficulty of many tongue twisters, spouting them out is meant to be fun. Yes, they are challenging, and there are so many memories of your little brother using them to get on your nerves — but there are actually substantial benefits that come from extensive practice, including improving clarity of speech and diction. Ultimately, the strange and peculiar assonance and alliteration are a game that is meant to be enjoyed. So, take a breath, laugh and give any one of these funny tongue twisters a try.
Latest posts by Katie Price (see all)
- 25 Tongue Twisters Everyone Should Know - April 15, 2019
- Thin Content? Beefing It Up Can Catapult You to the Top - March 4, 2019
- Project Give: Our Chance to Pay it Forward - December 21, 2018